Friday, June 24, 2011

Spring Break "Little Apple" Manzanita April 2011

we are terrible when we try to take pictures of ourselves together.
Honestly, this is the best one we got!  Lovely, right?
Our plan for our "last trip without child,"  was to go someplace extra sunny and love it!  However, my procrastination coupled with other obstacles of sicknesses and not wanting to fly with sinus issues already in full swing, enabled us to return to Manzanita where we went on our honeymoon.
Our view from our hotel room deck!  Priceless!

We decided to stay at the "cheaper" hotel option right across the road from the beach. I can't tell you how inviting our view was!  The weather was volatile; but whenever we wanted to take a walk in our galoshes we somehow ended up with a clearing in the clouds.
Kiki investigating the sand immediately upon our arrival.

We took Kiki the pug with us on our adventure (our normal dog-sitter was on her own vaca that week!) and it was her first time to the ocean at all.  She had a terrible time on the drive down.  She barked non-stop for the first 2.5 hours.  Then we decided to take her seat belt off and then she was much more relaxed but still a nuisance.  We did contemplate finding a kennel half-way to Oregon to drop her off at to continue our trip in peace...but we knew that it wouldn't be nice to leave her there...and we both wanted to see her reaction to the ocean waves!

While we were there, we honored my Dad by going to his favorite restaurant on the coast "THE BIG WAVE CAFE"  on the date that marked a year since his passing from this earth life.  It was a good experience and I got to tell Paul about how dad was always able to strike up a conversation with anyone...including this restaurant owner.  Each year we returned he would pick up his conversations where he left off with her the year before.  I'm not sure if Marci remembered Dad each time, but she definitely was remembered by Dad.  Good food, good service...and a great atmosphere.

We also went to Mom's favorite--Marzano's pizza parlor.  It was delicious! We had calzone's a first for both of us at Marzano's.  

Since it was earlier in the pregnancy, I was struggling a wee-bit with feeling well...in addition, I had just finished my 3rd round of antibiotics and was still suffering a bit from the sinus infection.  So we didn't do a lot of our normal site seeing adventures.  Just mainly relaxed and enjoyed the sights, sounds, and smells of the ocean.

You'd be jealous too, I'm sure!
We did however hit the Rite-Aid on Day one because Paul was jealous of my galoshes!  

The lady there was kind of rude...but it makes for a good story now.  But the rest of the time we hung out in the room playing our new favorite game, Five Crowns, snacking on delicious goods from Safeway, watching Alias DVD's (yes we brought our own DVD player), or exploring on the beach with Kiki (yes we taunted her a little bit too!).

In the room, hibernating from the storms outside!


The baby "bump" really wasn't showing yet...
I just looked a little more chubby than normal.
It was a fabulous trip.  Of course we had the best weather, on the way out of town (see picture at right), but we still had a great time and made some fantastic memories, just Paul and I together.  I'm so thankful that we were able to go and reflect on trips past with family and friends.  The Oregon Coast always will have a special place in our hearts.  We can't wait to take our baby girl on her first adventure to the coast!





Here are an assortment of photos from our playing on the beach!
Paul, all suited up!
You can see our hotel in the background!

This adventure, prompted Paul's desire to go get galoshes himself!
Thank you cranky Rite-Aid employee!

The little girl, running after her daddy...and without a leash!
We were brave to let her venture on her own!
Kiki and I trying to outrun the waves!
She was fearless!
There is nothing better than the coast!
The fresh water drainage, aka Paul and I's favorite thing to torment Kiki with, was raging since it was so stormy while were there.  We adored dragging her into the "raging rapids" with our galoshes on to see her reaction.  Do you think she loved it?  Nah, she did everything in her power to avoid the "cliff of despair" leading her down to the fresh water stream.  It sure was fun to torment her though!
Yes I am full on pulling her into the water!  I'm a mean mommy!

Her tolerance level weakened by my ability to maneuver with the leash!



No comments:

Post a Comment