Thursday, December 2, 2010

Traditions to make the season bright

For the past 3 years I (and the past two years we) haven't been able to truly enjoy the holiday season in our home.  We haven't had a Christmas tree, nor have we decorated the house to my liking.   I fear this year will be similar to the years past,  with our lack of spare time, and wanting to spend as much time with mom as we can when we aren't working or schooling, so I am afraid our holiday spirit will not be shown in decorating our home this year.

This past week I started feeling bummed about our lack of holiday decorations we have up, and then I realized that was the wrong feeling to have.  The holiday season--it really isn't about the decorations or the tree (although they are a super bonus and help keep my spirits bright), it is about family memories and the birth of our Savior. 

I started to review years past in my mind and found myself recalling fond experiences with family and feeling truly grateful that I remember those experiences rather than what decorations we had up in our home.

I look back on my childhood holiday seasons and have great memories of my grandparents visiting, Santa's visits, Potlatch Christmas parties, Ward holiday parties, hanging out with the Brockman gang (Paula eating cat food!), and much much more.  But the real deal, was on Christmas Eve when we would read the Christmas story from our black with gold lettering, ornate family bible.  As the years progressed, we took turns reading it rather than Dad being the designated narrator.  We then would have a family prayer and open our "EVE" gift of brand new PJ's!  Then the three of us (Kristalyn, Darrin, and I) would go downstairs to Kristalyn's room and play games all through the night, we'd fall asleep with our Christmas blankets (constructed by mom) and then Santa would come down and remove the blankets from us to cover our stocking stuffers.  Reading Christmas stories and other books with mom were highlights of my childhood--Morris and the Disappearing Bag, Christmas Smells, and of course, 'Twas the night before Christmas.  I also remember all the times we collected goods and gifts for other families not as fortunate as us and Kristalyn dressing up as Santa (Darrin and I were too tall for the suit!) and delivering goodies. 

I am grateful that Paul's family has had similar traditions of family memories.  They too had the PJ's on Christmas Eve, Hot Cocoa and special treats and family games together.  Our first married Christmas we spent the morning with Paul's parents (Teresa and Mike) and enjoyed delicious German Pancakes and other breakfast festivities.  Teresa is an amazing cook and she's always trying new recipes and we all reap her delicious delights around the holidays!

Since Paul and I have been dating we have tried to find the joys of the holiday season by being together and focusing on memory making experiences.  If we purchase gifts for each other, the gifts typically are centered around the purpose of making memories. 

I am grateful for my parents, who taught me the true meaning of Christmas--and showed by example the paramount importance of familial relationships in memory making around the holiday season and all times.  I look forward to continuing the spirit of the holiday season with Paul and coming up traditions with our children when the time comes for us.

2 comments:

  1. Living far away from any family and having to stay most holidays at home, away from all our loved ones- has truly made us appreciate traditions and also the real meaning of Christmas. It's such a beautiful and special time of year. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite memory from when I was growing up was reading the Christmas story from the Bible on Christmas eve. Although I didnt really like it at the time (I just wanted to get to opeining our 1 gift we got to open that night). Now that I have kids I realized why my parents made that a tradiotion.
    Insead of the regular bed time stories this month, we are reading a part of the Christmas story from the bible to the girls each night to help them learn the real meaning of Christmas. I hope we can make this a tradition they will love and remember!

    ReplyDelete